Board Info
   Rules and Regulations
   Continuing Education
   Current Licenses
   Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions
  1. What are the requirements to become a license massage therapist in WV?

    For new applicants:
    1. Obtain an application packet & request an official transcript to be sent directly from the school you attended to the board.  Form 1 is only accepted from schools located within WV.  The official transcript and Form 1 must have the school's official seal for validation.  The massage therapy program you attend must be approved by the State and be at least 500 hours minimum.
    2. Submit proof of the successful completion of the National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) examination prior to February 1, 2015, or completion of the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx).  The MBLEx is the only current national examination offered for state licensure.
    For application using Reciprocity, please provide us with a copy of your current license from the State where you practice along with copies of your current continuing education units (certificates) if licensed over two year and proof of the successful completion of the NCBTMB exam or MBLEx examination sent directly from the national organization.

    For lapsed licensees: If you had a WV license and it has expired beyond sixty (60) days of the expiration date, you will need to submit proof of the successful completion of the NCBTMB or MBLEx exam and proof of your current twenty-four continuing education credits along with your completed application. You will need to re-apply for your license on the initial application form, not the renewal form.

  2. What are the fees for licensing?
  3. Can I get a duplicate of my license?
  4. How long does it take to get my license?
  5. When is the late fee enforced?
  6. What if I am already license in another state, what requirements must I meet for WV licensure?
  7. Iím a health care professional, beautician, etc., can I count my hours towards licensing?
  8. What regulations must I abide by?
  9. Do I have to wait until I am licensed to practice massage therapy?
  10. I am a graduate of a school that no longer exists and cannot locate anyone to verify my graduation, what can I do?
  11. I practiced in the state years ago and moved away, now I would like to become licensed again.
  12. What records should I keep for my continuing education?
  13. Where can I get my continuing education credits & how many credits do I need?
  14. I know of someone who is practicing without a license, what should I do?
  15. Do I need to stay nationally certified in order to renew my license?
©2007 WV Massage Therapy Licensure Board    |    Designed and Developed by WV Designs